Various Links (I'll update over the weekend)
- Jezebel points out that The Hunger Games is the first movie about a girl. Or something. Do you think this is a significant crack in cinema's glass ceiling? Does cinema have a glass ceiling, in front of the camera anyway? I don't know. I am asking.
- Mother Jones viscously pans the flick, recommending instead that you see Battle Royale and City Of God. The second recommendation kind of comes out of nowhere, but it is true: you SHOULD see that movie. Battle Royale was eh though.
- Slate's Dana Stevens offers an enthusiastic review, more or less spoiler-free, for the uninitiated.
- Also at Slate, LV Anderson notes a frankly MADDENING trend in reviews of The Hunger Games: critics picking on Jennifer Lawrence's body. Um, LOOK AT THIS GIRL. And then look at the gaunt figure Ashley Greene has become lately. SHUT THE FUCK UP, MANOHLA DARGIS, TODD McCARTHY and JEFFREY WELLS! Let Jennifer Lawrence be great (and sexy, dammit)!
- Posters for The Hunger Games as directed by various auteurs. Pretty good.